Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Life of Pi

I finished the book "The Life of Pi" by Yann Martel a few days back. I had started it on the train from Varanasi to Chennai. What follows is my review of the book that appears on "Books at LivingSocial".

"I started reading this book on my way back to Chennai from Varanasi. I was intrigued by the first part of the book which I managed to finish in the thirty-six hour journey. The information I gained about the behaviour of zoo animals was an eye-opener. Yann Martel's analysis of religion and the similarities and differences between the three faiths was refreshing to read. This part was most enjoyable.
The rest of the book II finished in Chennai. I would say that although the first part promised a lot (and gave me high hopes), the second part does not really hold up. The dilemma induced in the minds of readers by Martel is interesting, and will make one think long and hard about the veracity as well the philosophical implications of the extraordinary story of survival by Pi Patel. But in all, I would not give it any more than a 3/5. It raised hopes...but it has failed to fully live up to it: regardless of, and especially because, it was the Booker winner."

I bought the "Sea of Poppies" by Amitav Ghosh yesterday and plan on attacking it soon. This was also a day when I managed to get a lot of things done. Sadly, and as usual, it turned out that I will have to do the entire thing all over again in a different, albeit more accurate way, tomorrow. Such is life.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me I have a copy of Amitav Ghosh's 'The Hungry Tide' lying in my room for nearly two years. Haven't finished reading a single book while in Mumbai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you read the Oscar Wilde stuff?

    ReplyDelete